Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Ted Talk YouTube and Copyright

For this assignment, I needed to watch Margaret Stewart: How YouTube Thinks About Copyright
and provide 3 things I learned, 2 things I agree or disagree with, and 1 question.

3 Things I Learned:

  • YouTube performs copyright checks on each video uploaded to their site, which translates into approximately 100 years of video each day. This astonishing amount is compared to millions of reference files already in YouTube.


  • Most content owners allow a copy to be uploaded because its generally a good marketing practice - more exposure.
  • YouTube describes its site as a creative ecosystem in which amateurs, large corporate studios and everything in between benefit from each other by borrowing content, building on it, recreating it etc. This is how all parties involved can benefit from something going 'viral'.
2 Things I Agree with:
  • All parties involved can benefit when something goes viral - including the amateurs. I love the fact that we can all put out great works; that it is no longer the realm of movie and music celebrities. It is a great opportunity for some to give their careers a boost!
  • I agree with their system of checking for potential violations and allowing the content owner to set their policies and have the final say. 

Which segues nicely into my question: Will the grayness over video copyright issues ever become clearer? I don't see how it can...but who knows what options are out there, or will be in the future.
It seems especially messy when copyright issues have to be sorted for mash ups!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment